Monday, September 24, 2007

effusion vs craft

Was thinking (and talking to someone else) on the weekend about the old dilemma of effusion vs craft. What's easy for me and what I couldn't cease doing and still breathe is things like this - burbling things out as they come to me.

But should I be spending time/applying myself/setting a goal to/making it my life's project to actually work hard and craft something? Should I spend time trying to hone a written project to give it more value?

Probably.

Astrobarry said something like it a few weeks ago - something like I should hold some things back and work them until they're really good, rather than just saying everything.

And on the weekend I was thinking I would have to stop doing this do start doing the discplined thing.

But I just found my post in Part 2 about buying a new Moleskine notebook (one page full to date, not really doing its job yet), and now I realise I'm being stupid - you of course have to do both. The burbled outpourings are the notes and the drafts. They are the finger exercises, the études, the barre work. And the crafted final thing comes out of it - is not a replacement for it. Is not some higher thing, some detached thing.

I should not feel bad about blogging, it's all part of the swirling journey to whatever good thing it is I'm supposed to write. (Supposed to? Gonna, how 'bout?)

No comments: