Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Why do we wait?

Telling people that you're moving away makes everyone suddenly closer. Today I had lunch, finally, with our office manager from work, which we've been talking about doing for a year at least, and we thoroughly opened up to each other, and were giving each other the same advice back and forth. She's such a lovely woman and she's in a fair bit of pain right now in her life. I hope that I was any help at all. You think that people who have a strong faith can't have any problems, but they're the same as all of us. I have time to have a few more lunches with her, but if there hadn't been a time limit, would we have done it? How long would it have taken?

And another one, I had sent an email the day before and got no reply but today he must have read it and he rang me straight away, right in the middle of the afternoon out of the blue, and invited me to dinner tonight (I didn't go but still). This after a year and a half of basically nothing outside the formal structures of the group in which I know him, and now all of a sudden he rings me at work and invites me to dinner? Doofus head, I wanted to say, if you wanted to do this kind of thing with me I've been right here all this time, why did you wait? You shouldn't have taken me for granted.

I have another lunch with a work colleague tomorrow, one who has really needed me but I just ignored him and left him to his own devices. Why haven't we been lunching once a week? I guess because the soft stuff, the personal stuff, can't go down on the timesheet. But it's a shame. Learn from my example, people! If you like someone, give them a call right now, make time to see them. In a fleeting second someone you depend on always being there might get a job offer across the world and have only eight weeks left to spend with you.

No comments: